More than 70 years ago, five community physicians banded together to make quality care more accessible to their patients – and the Ochsner Clinic was born. Innovators and visionaries, with reputations for clinical excellence, they believed in the value of physician engagement, team work and patient-centered research. Above all, they believed that collaboration and an unwavering focus on patient care were critical aspects of providing great healthcare.
Ochsner has been true to the vision of its founding fathers, maintaining our focus on clinical excellence, innovation, access and, importantly, physician engagement. As one of the country’s prominent integrated healthcare delivery systems, Ochsner partners with community hospitals and physicians to bring quality care to communities across Southeastern Louisiana. Today, our network of physicians and hospitals has grown to include nine hospitals and 1,400 independent community physicians, in addition to our more than 13,000 employees and 850 employed physicians in more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties.
So how did we get where we are today? What started as a clinic back in 1942 grew into a single hospital on Jefferson Highway. After Hurricane Katrina, Ochsner made a strategic decision to help rebuild and grow the medical infrastructure of Southeastern Louisiana. We recognized our responsibility to the community and knew that access to healthcare was a key component of the region’s recovery.